Friday Randoms

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

This is my first post of the year, shame on me. I know it's kind of late but I hope everyone had a great holiday. I had convinced myself - even though, I didn't have the means - that I would be in Nigeria for the holidays. So imagine my surprise when that absolutely did not happen and I found myself with no Christmas plans. It was my first Christmas since I moved to America (20 years ago), that I did not spend with family but it was still a good one. My friends are truly MVP.

Wishing everyone a fantastic year ahead filled with love and laughter. Lord knows we need it in these weird times we are living in.

Let's random.

When you really think about it, the term almond milk is so weird. Like it is truly from a nut and yet we call it milk. Or the fact that we have creamers that say they are non dairy products.Why?

As a baseline, I think parents will mess up their kids. I think the hope is to not mess them up more than the minimal threshold. Subconscious habits are picked up just by living in the same house and its no wonder patterns are formed.

I think there is a special place in hell for men who abuse women. And not just physical abuse, cuz abuse comes in so many different forms whether mental or manipulation.

Speaking of, in hindsight, I remembered a relationship I was in that I think could be deemed verbally abusive. He would always make derogatory comments about my cooking or my hairstyles and basically making me second guess myself. Thank God for dodged bullets.

What is it about love that makes smart women do dumb things? I just finished reading Trevor Noah's book and by all accounts his mom was really the greatest. She seemed so fearless and beyond her time and yet she still fell prey to being with an abusive man.

Oyibo women have a certain freedom when it comes to relationships that I wish we Nigerian women would adopt. Just seems free of constriction and rules and just go for what you want and be who you are.

The more things change, the more things stay the same. Our generation is not changing any time soon. The comments when Kobe announced he was having another girl was an inkling into how having a boy is still seen as some as the golden dream.

There are people who still want to get married for the sole reason of having kids. What are your views on that? Detrimental or understandable?

Who was the first person to come up with the patterns on a bandanna?

Thought this was a good read. "On growing up and asking the right questions" https://medium.com/@missedoho/on-growing-up-and-asking-the-right-questions-ca5fba921b1c

That's all I got for you. We are expecting snow this weekend (again) up in these parts. Hope yall stay warm and remain blessed.



Comments

mizchif said…
You're a real fan sha.
Like i forget The Weeknd exists sometimes till you remind me.

I've fully embraced the oyibo approach to relationships. I think. At least the part about fully being myself. Also not staying in any situation that doesn't make me happy. And generally paying less attention to rules.

I have a friend who recently got married kind of sort of impromptu and me being myself, when she told me she was getting married i had to ask her why and one of the things she mentioned was that she wanted to have kids and have them soon.
She called me last week saying she's not sure she can stay married to the guy. Their first year anniversary comes up in march. Oh and she's had a baby.
My opinion is, it's not really wise to get married for kids. But i get why people choose it. We all have different things that are important to us. SO it's both detrimental and understandable.

Also, being a parent is such a huge responsibility. It's so easy to fuck up a childs life.

Popular posts from this blog

Being Human

Learn about me - 100 truths

Random Thursday