The Shack

My friend recommended a book called The Shack by William P Young to me. It's a book that talks about faith and our relationship with God. I have only heard extremes about this book, either people hated it or loved it. Once I had it on the elevator and these two women commented on it. The first lady said "oh i loved this book" and the other lady said " she couldn't stand it". Another friend of mine said she just couldn't get pas the few pages. I didn't hate or love it but it had some quotables I liked that I'll share. The premise of the book is about a man who was born to an alcoholic dad who beat up his mom. He ran away from home met a good woman who had strong faith in God. They had 4 kids and were relatively okay till something big happened to their family.

These quotes are from where the man receives a letter to come hang with "Papa" - who is God. God happens to be a big black woman, the Holy Spirit- Sarayu who is Asian and Jesus- who is a Hispanic man that's well Jesus. They spend time with the man to help him deal with his hurt, questions, faith etc. Below are some quotes I found interesting.


"Relationships[any kind] are never about power and one way to avoid the will to power is to choose to limit oneself  - to serve. Humans often do this - in touching the infirm an sick, in serving the ones whose minds have left to wander, in relating to the poor, in loving the very old and the very young or in even caring for the other who has assumed a position of power over them"

After the man makes a comment about being confused how the Holy Spirit fits in and what the chain of command is between God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit:

"We have no concept of final authority among us, only unity. We are in a circle of relationship, not a chain of command or 'great chain of being' as your ancestors termed it. What you're seeing here is relationship without an overlay of power. We don't need power over the other because we are always looking out for the best. Hierarchy would make no sense among us. Actually, this is your problem, not ours"

Jesus tells the man to do something but it was difficult for him. Jesus says, tell me what you are afraid of. He lists a bunch of things and Jesus says:

"You imagine. Such a powerful ability, the imagination. Without wisdom, imagination is a cruel task master"

The man says: I spend a big piece in the past, but most for the rest of the time, I am trying to figure out the future. Jesus says:

"When I dwell with you, I do so in the present. I live in the present. Not the past, although much can be remembered and learned by looking back, but only for a visit, not an extended stay. Do you realize that your imagination of the future, which is almost always dictated by fear of some kind, rarely, if ever pictures me there with you?" ( I don't know about you guys but the bolded part is so me)

The man asks: Why do i have so much fear in my life? God says:

"Because you don't believe. You don't know that we love you. The person who lives by their fears will not find freedom in my love. To the degrees that those fears have a place in your life, you neither believe I am good nor know deep in your heart that I love you. You sing about it, you talk about it, but you don't know it"

Jesus said "To force my will on you is exactly what love does not do. Genuine relationships are marked by submission even when your choices are not helpful or healthy"

The man asked "You're not too fond of religion and institutions?"

Jesus said : "I don't create institutions - never have, never will". The man says "What about the institution of marriage?" Jesus says " Marriage is not an institution. It's a relationship. Like I said, I don't create institutions, that's an occupation for those who want to play God. So no, I'm not too big on religion and not very fond of politics or economics either and why should I be? They are the man-created trinity of terrors that ravages the earth and deceives those I care about"

This is the last quote and my favorite:

"Remember those who know me are the ones who free to live and love without any agenda". Man says, "Is that what it means to be Christian?" and God says "Who said anything about being a Christian, I'm not a Christian" - Absolutely loved this.

Anyways, I won't bore you with any more. Did you have any opinions on any of the quotes? or have you read the book? If you have let me know what you think. Have a wonderful week!

Comments

LohiO said…
I just downloaded this book today! Can't wait to read it now.
Ada said…
brilliant! I have recently become illuminated with this concept God's love.the scripture that says "perfect love drives out all fear" is just perfect. All this while I thought the love in that scripture was my love, when it was actually Gods love for me. and not only knowing but also truly believing that God loves you. When you do, fear becomes a small war. I tend to forget so I am constantly making my conscious aware of God's Love until it becomes a subconscious thought.

It is sad that in the church they put the cart before the horse. They scream "you have to love God, you have to love God". When God is saying show them my love first and they will learn to love me.

The image most people have of God is of some old man with a stick waiting to beat us on the head for the mistakes we make. All the while he is this bigball of love just wanting to smear us with his essence until we dont feel hollow and empty and we overflow with his love, extending it to those around us...

meanwhile I just called someone to their face all sorts of expletives in a midnight rage. lmaao. I will get there

Mrs A said…
I might go back and read this book again, someone gave it to me while my son was in hospital...
Chacha said…
Loved the book. I've read in twice. Loved the pieces you pulled out.
Chacha said…
Here's a link to the follow up (like a very brief part 2) of the book. Very important to read.

http://windrumors.com/2008/03/the-beauty-of-ambiguity-mystery/

Popular posts from this blog

Being Human

Learn about me - 100 truths

Friday Randoms